I have been hearing a lot lately about how great the Twilight series is by Stephenie Meyer. It seems like a craze all of the sudden. How I'm I just learning about these books? My friend Andrea pointed out to me that she told me about them back in February at book club. I kind of remember her talking about them...but all of the sudden the book is popping up every where and it's hard to ignore! I've been reading blogs about them. My coworkers are suddenly circulating the books throughout the office. I saw a huge sign at Walmart last night about the upcoming 4th book. I can't seem to get away from all this talk of the Twilight series. So I'm giving in...I can't resist a great read and everybody says they are a great read. I got a note from the library telling me the first book is ready for me to pick up and read. I just have to finish the other 2 books I'm trying to read right now. Why is there never enough time to read all the books out there?But, the purpose of this post is to tell you all about my favorite series of books. I think they need to be getting a little bit of attention too. I started reading them about 8 years ago, right before the 5th book was set to come out. It's the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Back when I picked up the first book I found it in the Romance section at Barnes & Noble (They have since been moved to the more respectable fiction section). I was instantly hooked! It's the story of Claire, a nurse from the 1940's who accidentally stumbles back in time to 18th century Scotland. There she meets our hero Jamie, who is a young 23 year old Scot who she ends up married to. It wasn't a short book either. "Outlander" the first book in the series is about 800 pages, and every book after has been longer. I think the last one was about 1200 page in hardcover form. So if you like a lot of story, these are great books. Right now I'm anxiously awaiting the 7th book, but it probably won't be out until sometime next year. The books in order are:
"Outlander"
"Dragonfly in Amber"
"Voyager"
"Drums of Autumn"
"The Fiery Cross"
"A Breath of Snow & Ashes"
By the last book Claire and Jamie are in their 50's living in America getting ready for the Revolutionary War. So, if you are looking for something great to read that will take up a lot of time, these books are great. The only pain is waiting for the next book to come out.
3 comments:
I remember Andrea talking about the Twilight books at the book club. That was still back in my "vampire phobia" days. I am always up for a great, long read! I will have to take your suggestion and try this series out. First, I want to read the Count of Monte Cristo, the long version!!!
Can I just say that I'm glad Jenn confirmed that I actually mentioned Twilight at the book club? LOL! I was beginning to think it was one of those things that I thought I said, but didn't actually say. That happens a lot, actually. =P
I'll make note of those books -- they're going on my library list. They sound interesting!
Thanks for the book tips. Can't we all use a new series to fall in love with? I especially like the title of Book #2, "Dragonfly in Amber". I've always wanted a book to be written about me!
Post a Comment