This is my home. I bet you can tell that the picture wasn't taken recently. I took this back in December after a lovely snow storm! I could do with a snow storm about right now. For some reason it can't just be hot in New England, it also has to be humid. It's actually not that hot, only in the 80's. I'm sure my family in Phoenix would love to have a nice 80 degree day. It's really the humidity that makes the summers so unbearable here in New England.
If you can't tell, my house is old too. It was built in 1910. Scott and I thought it would be so charming to buy a big old house. Not too charming in the summer though when you have no central air conditioning! I really don't want to pay to cool the whole house down either. It cost so much to heat it in the winter that I like to think I'm saving a little money for a few months of the year.
Until Owen came along we pretty much just endured the hot summer nights. But once we had Owen I knew I couldn't let him sleep in a hot bedroom. So we came up with a solution. We put one air conditioner in one of our downstairs rooms that doesn't face the sun all day. We then put sheets up on the doors and turned the air conditioner on...so we now have one cool room in the house to sleep in! I slept on the couch, Owen slept in his play pen, and Scott...he got the floor...lucky guy! So we decided to give that a try again this summer. We only sleep downstairs on really hot nights, and we haven't had too many this summer. But being pregnant and sleeping on a couch is not much fun. So last night I made Scott bring the mattress down from the guest bedroom so we could sleep on that. I figured it would be a win-win situation for both of us! The guest bed is only a full size mattress...but it's what Scott and I slept on for the first 4 years of marriage. But we didn't have a child crying in the middle of the night and wanting to sleep in between us. It's hard to believe that such a small person can take up so much space on a bed. Finally after almost falling off the mattress about 20 times I got on the couch and slept much more peacefully. The fall wouldn't have been too far...but the floor is still harder than the couch. So Owen and Scott cuddled up for the rest of the night. Scott said he woke up a few times on the edge of the mattress himself...I guess Owen is ready for a bigger bed! Hopefully tonight he will stay in his playpen, because it's suppose to be another hot night!
2 comments:
I love old homes, too, and your house is beautiful. Your little guy is adorable! I definitely understand that little people take a lot more room then expected.--Aleisha
What a cute house! So picturesque. I can definately relate to having a little one sneak into bed at night. I was so excited that Jonny slept in his own bed the whole night last night! Ben came and visited only once at 5 am. and then Joe took him back to his bed and fell asleep with him in his bed. So, for once I had my bed to myself- no wonder I feel so rested today:)
Post a Comment