Lately, Scott keeps telling Owen that he is going to be the next Tom Brady. I think Owen is feeling the pressure, because he's really been working on his throwing arm! Come over to my house anytime when Owen is home and you will see something flying through the air. Usually it's a ball. Owen loves to play catch. But it's not always something as nice as a ball. He will also throw pots and pans, spoons, toys...pretty much anything he gets his hands on is going to be leaving his hands by way air travel. On Sunday our lovely Relief Society President who sits by us and helps keep Owen entertained during sacrament meeting was going to give him these cute little rocks to play with. They have cute sayings like "Persist 'ant'", and "Obedie 'ant'". They would have been great to keep a child distracted, as long as that child isn't mine. I quickly let her know about his bad habit though. I could only imagine a cute little rock saying "Obedie 'ant' " being chucked across the room and hitting an innocent person in the head. That would be bad.Probably the worse thing he throws is food though. At dinner time there is always peas or mashed potatoes flying through the air. He threw a grape in sacrament meeting a few weeks ago, we never found it. Last Sunday he threw cheese in sacrament meeting. At least that is easier to spot than a grape. And yesterday was probably the worse. We were eating breakfast and he decided he didn't want his yogurt anymore. So guess what? He threw it...at me. It's not very nice being covered in yogurt first thing in the morning. Especially when you have a very limited maternity wardrobe!
I have no idea how to get him to stop. We've tried telling him to stop, but it's hard to reason with a 19 month old. We've tried ignoring it to see if it would go away, but it's not. I really have no idea how to stop him. Maybe only time will break him of this bad habit? If anybody has a suggestion I would welcome it...and so would our kitchen floor.
4 comments:
My cousin keeps telling me his sons are future Red Sox players, and his encouragement has caused quite a few things to get broken in the house.
The only thing that ever got the kids in our family to stop doing stuff like that was to smack them on the hand and say "NO!" really loud. Or, they'd be "punished" by taking the toy, food, whatever, away from them. Of course, nowadays, that's considered child abuse. =/
Ha. Jonny's bad habit these days is to dump out any and all liquid he finds. Usually he sneaks it from the kitchen table and then dumps it out on our wood floors. I have to admit by the third or fourth time each day I get very frustrated. I've tried time out and he just laughs his head off the whole minute. So, obviously I have no advice for you. I think it's the age:)
He does have a very good throwing arm on him. Maybe one day he can put that to good use with something other than food. I do all the things that Andrea suggested earlier depending on how badly the behavior is bugging me. People do think these things are abuse these days :/ That is truly sad. Speaking in general terms, I think kids who are allowed to do whatever they would like with no discipline or boundaries really and truly constitute abuse to me. It's hard work parenting. It is easier to let them run crazy.
Throwing stuff, I think, is an age thing! Good luck! :?
Well, he's got the throwing part, but he's still not good at reading the mike in a 4-3 defense. The other day, I tried to get him to identify the mike on a diagram, and he pointed to the weak side linebacker instead. ARRGGGHHHH!!!!! It's so frustrating. Anyway, I . . . Say, why's everyone looking at me like I'm crazy?
Seriously though, if only there was some way to teach Owen only to throw balls instead of everything else. It's fun playing catch with him and all, except when it's my car keys flying at me as if Nolan Ryan, JR. threw them.
Post a Comment