Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Peter the Mouse Hunter

This is our cat, Peter. He has been part of our family for about 9 1/2 years now. When Scott and I first got married somebody found him in the woods as a kitten and brought him over to Scott's sister's house. Scott's sister wanted to keep him and name him Jasper, but her husband wouldn't let her. They already had 3 dogs, 2 cats and probably 4 horses. He was so small and sweet that I decided we should keep him. He has been a pretty good cat. He doesn't make a lot of noise and pretty much keeps to himself. He's good with the kids and always uses his litter box. The one problem with Peter is that he never catches mice! Or, I should say he never caught a mouse before Sunday!

Sunday night we were sitting at the table eating dinner. I heard a loud noise from by the kitchen sink, and it was Peter with his claws in the vent under the cabinets. I told Scott that Peter must have caught a mouse, but I was joking since Peter hadn't caught a mouse in 9 1/2 years. A few minutes later Scott said, "Yes! He did catch a mouse!" Peter was walking through the kitchen with a huge mouse in his mouth! YUCK...I don't like mice. Probably because my mom was always screeching at the sight of them so I developed a phobia too. I promptly stuck my feet in the air and wouldn't move. Scott tried to find something to put the mouse in, but I wasn't helping. Scott told Peter to kill the mouse, but he didn't. He let the mouse go!!! After that Scott was harassing Peter about not being able to kill a mouse. So Peter decided to finish the job and show Scott who could kill a mouse. The next morning I found a dead mouse in the middle of the floor. At least I noticed it before I stepped on it! I don't know if Peter killed it, or if it died from being clutched between Peter's jaws the night before, but it was dead.

So Peter is finally earning his keep. Let's just hope he keeps it up!

2 comments:

grandpachuck said...

you are such a big girl!!!! so is your mother. you are only 300 times the size of a mouse and they scare you to death. i could see being afraid of a black widow spider, but a mouse??? are you going to pass this flaw on to holly as well?

Jenn said...

I hate mice too! When I was in college, we found one in our apartment. My roomates and I couldn't kill it, but we did stand on top of all furniture and played "broom" hockey with it until we got it out of the front door! Nasty! I hate mice. I would have done the same thing you did! The men and cats can have all the fun of killing the mice!