Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thoughts on 29

Happy Birthday to me! Thank you to everybody who remembered and wished me a happy birthday...I appreciate your remembering! I have one more year left in my 20's, which is strange. It seems like I just was experiencing one more year left in my teens. The picture below is from my 19th birthday. In the picture with me are my good friends Amber and DeDe...and an old roommate Meredith (I'm not saying Meredith isn't a good friend, I just haven't heard from her in over 9 years).

Today was pretty good though...I can't complain. Only one person at work remembered that it was my birthday...and I haven't heard from one of my brothers! I guess that's where it would be nice to have a sister, sister's don't forget that kind of thing do they? When I got home from work though dinner was made! Scott had made taco's...and they were pretty darn good. Right now he is attempting to make my favorite cake...German Chocolate cake! It smells delicious. I got some money from my parents (always the perfect gift), a gift certificate from my mother-in-law, Scott and Owen each got me a card, and Scott bought me a ticket to Time Out For Women coming up in a few weeks. So not a bad birthday at all.

My mom was 29 when she had me, her only daughter. Now I am 29 and in a few weeks will be having my 1st, and probably only daughter. It seems kind of appropriate.

I was reading an article in the Reader's Digest by a woman in her 60's about aging. What an appropriate week to be reading it in as I was pondering how time has gone so fast, it seems like I just turned 19 and now I'm 29. How did I get to be this old? She says;

"I don't know what further changes I will enjoy or endure as I age, but I do know the answer to the question I asked myself at 30, at 40, and at 50: How did I get to be this old?

"I was lucky. Getting old is what I want to do. Getting old, whatever the years bring, is far better than not getting old. Or, in the words of Maya Angelou, 'Mostly, what I have learned so far about aging, despite the creakiness of one's bones and cragginess of one's once-silken skin, is this: Do it. By all means, do it.' "

2 comments:

dedesmith32 said...

wow! A photo from the past! Love it! HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend! Some days I wish we could go back to that time - such great memories! And man, I was skinny then! LOL

Glad you had a good day!

Amber Chappell said...

Hey Brinner (sorry the old college pic brought that out in me and I couldn't resist!), I honestly didn't forget your birthday. You know that right? I hope it was totally awesome! It's funny I looked at that picture and it brought back TONS of memories! Gotta love the day's in apartment D7! I'm guessing Queen or David Bowie were playing in the background and Joey's dirty socks were on the couch!

P.S. Sisters do remember birthdays better than brothers, but even they forget sometimes.