Monday, August 11, 2008

Good News, Bad News

I have some good news and some bad news. I'll start with the good news...

The good news is I'm not on Strike! As most of you know I work for Verizon, and as an employee of Verizon I belong to the IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) Union. Our 5 year contract with Verizon expired on August 3rd at 12:01 AM. We didn't have a new contract then, but the union told us to go ahead and keep on working. Then Friday we heard that the union had set a new deadline of 12:01 AM August 11th (that's today). They meant business. So I figured the company would be dragging their heels and we would be on strike today for sure. But nope! I woke up at 12:15 AM and checked the union's website to see if we were on strike. It said that an agreement had been reached! So no striking for us. I know a lot of people hate unions, sometimes I'm not a huge fan of them, but I can't really complain. I have a GREAT job with great pay and job security. The benefits are out of the world...I don't pay one penny for my families health insurance...and it's great health insurance too. After I had Owen I thought I would be getting a hefty copay bill from the hospital for all the services they had rendered...but I didn't. I didn't have to pay anything for giving birth...and I didn't pay a penny for the time Owen spend back in the hospital a few days later!!! Plus they paid 100% of my tuition when I was going to school...I just have so many amazing benefits, and I know I wouldn't have them if it weren't for the union. So I can't be a union disser.

So...that just leaves the bad news. The bad news is that I'm not on Strike! I was really looking forward to going on strike for a few weeks. I have so much that I need to get done around the house and two weeks off would have been very helpful! Back in the year 2000 we went on strike for 2 weeks...it was just enough time to get my life and apartment back to semi organized state. So I was really hoping for another 2 weeks...I've got a lot of stuff I want to get done around the house and just can't ever seem to find the time to do it. I guess I will just have to make the most of my weekends and get more done...because I'm not on strike!

2 comments:

another day in the life of... said...

mixed blessings right?! let us know what you need help with to get ready for the baby. i know there are lots of us who would like to help.

Joe Tenney said...

Brianne, I love your blog. Your honesty is so refreshing and you make me laugh. That is so great that you have such an awesome job with good benefits- this day in age jobs like that are hard to come by. Well, especially where I live right now. Thanks for all your fun posts.