Monday, August 25, 2008

A Handy Link

Here is a handy link to all my book club friends out there: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/LitNote/Emma.id-96.html

After reading the first chapter of "Emma" twice I knew I was gonna need a little help with this book. I really didn't want to have to read each chapter twice! Classics tend to read a lot differently than modern books do...and I guess I'm not quite bright enough to get it yet. So thank goodness for cliffnotes! I will still read the book, I will just have the cliffnotes handy so I'll know what's going on in all those long wordy sentences.

I did learn a new word though....valetudinarian...it means somebody who is overly concerned with their health. One website said it was kind of like a hypochondriac. But a hypochondriac is always worried that they are sick, and a valetudinarian is always worried about not getting sick, about keeping themselves as healthy as possible. Emma's father is a valetudinarian...I thought it meant he was really smart...LOL! Valetudinarian sounds like Valedictorian to me, that's why. Obviously I wasn't a valedictorian.

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

you are so funny! I've been reading Jane Austen novels for ever so I'm never lost in the lingo, but it's great that they have cliff's notes for those of us who do need help.
watch for a post that will highlight one of the many fun things I'll be putting on your diaper cake! {most likely around the 10th of Sept}I'm so excited to give it to you!

Amber Chappell said...

Don't feel bad. I thought Valetudinarian was something close to Valedictorian too and I was a Valedictorian so what does that say about me!?

I haven't read Emma but I did read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility (actually I inadvertently stole this one from the Memphis Library when we moved) and they definitely aren't easy reads. Just keep at it!