Friday, August 22, 2008

Stink, Stank, Skunk!

So last night at book club we were talking about smells. Somebody said that they didn't think they could live in a time before daily showers and perfume. OK, that's not exactly how she said it, but you get the picture. Somebody else pointed out to her that if that was your life you wouldn't think anything of it. I came up with the brilliant example that people who live in stinky houses don't know they live in stinky houses. You get use to the smells that are around you everyday.

Well, I must take my brilliant example back because last night I KNEW I lived in a stinky house! I got home from book club at about 9:45, and I could tell that our friend Pepe le Pew had been over for a visit. Our garage is about 30 feet from the house...I really didn't want to meet up with Pepe on the way to the house, so I ran for the door, which was locked! Scott opened it for me and I was so happy that I hadn't met with our little skunk friend. But as soon as I went in the house I thought I hadn't met him outside because he must have been inside. It smelled like a skunk had exploded in the house! Thankfully it hadn't...but it must have sprayed pretty close to an open window. It was the worst smell ever. I tried to drink some water but the water tasted like skunk. My throat was burning from the smell, and it was every where in the house. I just went to bed as soon as possible...which was the only way I could get away from having to smell the skunk. Of course I had to make 6 trips to the bathroom during the night (I just love the third trimester!) and I woke up with my nose burning from the stink of skunk everytime. Thankfully the smell was pretty much gone this morning...but it got me to thinking about why God thought he should create a skunk. I really don't see any useful purpose to them....they just go around causing problems for us by stinking up our lives. But, God's way's are higher than mine, so I'm sure he has a good reason. I just hope Pepe le Pew finds somebody else to bother tonight!

Speaking of our book club...I love it! I don't get out of the house too often without Owen. I'm not one of those fortunate mothers who gets to spend their days with their children, so by the time I get home from work I usually like to spend all my time with him. If I go anywhere, he's going too. The only exception is to our monthly book club meetings and Relief Society activities. It's nice to get out a few times a month and just talk to other women. It's fun and relaxing. One of our members brought a magazine article about book clubs and it said that it's not really about the book, it's more about women getting together to share some time together. That's so true. I love to read, and I enjoy talking about the book, but the part I really enjoy is just getting together with other women and talking about anything and everything. Oh, and the refreshments are always great too! So, if you aren't in a book club...start one up! They are great fun.

3 comments:

adh said...

Mr. le Pew must have made the rounds in the neighborhood last night. He stopped by our house too. *yuck*

Yes, that's definitely the best part about book clubs and activities like that. I desperately long for communication and human contact, so I'm jealous of what you guys have.

Jenn said...

A skunk got Nicea's dog and the smell was in their house too! What 's up with that? I LOVE book club too. It's not really about the books for me either. Sometimes I love the book, but most of the time they are just okay. It's the friendships that are the best!!!

Aleisha said...

A pregnant woman should never have to deal wih a skunk! We once had a skunk get into our crawl space--bad times.