Saturday, August 16, 2008

Tax Free Day!

Once a year Massachusetts has a Tax Free Holiday in August. I guess they have been doing it for 5 or 6 years now. Since clothes and food are tax free all year around I am usually not too excited about it. But this year I decided to take advantage of the 5% discount since I have some big ticket items to purchase, such as nursery furniture! So Owen and I headed out to the mall this morning, as did everybody else in Massachusetts. Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I really didn't find any good deals though. I ended up buying children's hangers tax free! I also got a lamp and some new window shades at Walmart. But I didn't find any furniture that seemed like a good deal.



A few days ago a friend sent me a picture of a crib set from Walmart that she said she was going to buy if she had a girl...but she had a boy. She thought it would be great for Holly. So when I got home I went to walmart.com to check it out and the cribs. Turns out if you really want something from Walmart you should go to their online site. In the store they had 3 cribs, online they had millions! OK...that's probably an exaggeration, but it was a lot more than 3. So I found a crib, and I also ended up ordering the crib set my friend had recommended. It was cute, and I didn't have to look around at a lot of stuff, so I was happy. Plus the room we are putting Holly in looks like the room in the picture...with the white paneling on the bottom and painted pink on top...so I figured it was a sign. I guess the tax free holiday extends to online shopping too! Walmart will ship the stuff to the store for free and send me an e-mail when I can pick it up. Why did I bother going to the mall today? Oh yeah, to get hangers....


Tomorrow is my sister-in-law's surprise birthday party (Don't worry, she doesn't have my blog address...I hope)! So Owen and I decided to walk to the Fashion Bug in town and get her a gift certificate for her birthday. She is always wearing something stylish, and when I ask her where she got it she says Fashion Bug. There is a Fashion Bug about a mile away, it was a beautiful day, so we decided to walk. So I pushed Owen all the way over there, only to remember when we got there and saw the empty store that Fashion Bug has been closed for about 3 years now!!! The closest one is the next town over, and we weren't walking that far. But, there was a TJ Maxx in the same shopping center. I have been in there a few times, but I've never found anything that really excited me. I decided to see if they might have some nice clothes for Holly, I didn't want to make that long walk for nothing. WOW! They had so many nice clothes for baby girls, and for so cheap! I have been looking for dresses for months now, but all I can find are dresses with short sleeves. That won't work in the winter. So I've been figuring I would just have to wait until it got closer to winter to buy Holly some dresses. But TJ Maxx had tons of cute little dresses that were made for the winter time. I found cute little outfits, I was having a ball in there. I probably would have stayed longer but Owen kept tearing the tags off the clothes on the bottom rack to entertain himself...so we didn't stay too long. But I'm excited by my discovery. I'm definitely going to have to go back there...without Owen!

2 comments:

Kelly Tillotson said...

yeeaaa! im so glad you liked the crib set--i thought you would! Its so cute and such a great deal! :)Holly will love it :)

Joe Tenney said...

I love TJ Maxx for baby girl clothes. Obviously, I've only gone there when I need a cute girly gift for a baby shower:)