Ever since Owen was a newborn baby I've been anxious for him to learn new skills. I've discovered it's a bad habit all new parents have. At first I couldn't wait for him to be able to hold his head up. When he finally could that was a good thing! But then I wanted him to start crawling. As soon as he started crawling I wished he would start walking because he would always get his hands dirty crawling around. Then he started walking...YIKES! Suddenly it was almost impossible to keep the pots and pans in the cupboards...or to keep anything where it was suppose to be. I liked it a whole lot better when I could set him down somewhere, leave the room, and know he would be sitting in the same spot when I got back.
So I don't know why I have been so anxious for him to learn to talk...I should have learned my lesson by now! There is a little girl in his class at daycare who is about a month older than Owen. She has been speaking in full sentences for months now. It seems like every time I turn around there is some article on how if your child can't use so many words by a certain age it means they must have some kind of learning disability. So that freaks me out! He just started calling me mom a few months ago...all the books I read said he should be calling me mom by the time he is a year old! Owen is slowly learning new words though. The doctor asked me about his speech yesterday...she said as long as he knew 10-20 words she wouldn't be concerned. He knows 10-20 words at least. But there is one word that he has picked up in the last week or so that I wish he hadn't learned. The dreaded word...."No" AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! That is his new favorite word, and I sure hate to hear it. If I try to give him food he shakes his head, "NO!" If I try to put on his shoes, "NO!" If I try to take him out of his high chair, "NO!" It's driving me insane! What happened to my agreeable little boy? Anything I suggest is responded to with a shake of the head and "NO!" I guess I better prepare myself for the terrible two's! Now I wonder why I was so worried about him learning to talk....he'll learn in time! Like my mom kept telling me, everybody learns how to talk eventually. I guess Owen's eventually is now. Oh well, I guess every parent gets to go through these fun times. I think I'll let Holly take her own sweet time learning how to do everything though.
4 comments:
Just don't let him know that the "no's" are bothering you and he'll quit pretty soon, and probably go on to something else like "mine" or "can't want to." Good Luck!
You know I think the word "no" is so powerful to kids because WE tell them "no" I don't know how many times a day. Cute though how they become little people as soon as they know they have the choice of saying "no".
Isn't it amazing how they find the power in that lovely word NO so quickly :)
Imagine my parents' surprise when all the babies were saying Mom and Dad, while my first word was the dog's name. My first sentence was about the dog too. I didn't pick up No until I was 2 or 3. Luckily it was just a phase. =)
Post a Comment