Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rolling

Holly has been rolling a lot lately. It's hard to feed her or change her because she is constantly trying to roll over onto her stomach.

Step 1 - I lay Holly down on her back.

Step 2 - Holly kicks her legs up and grabs hold of her feet...then she starts rolling sideways. I don't know if holding her feet propels or to the side, but this is always step 2.

Step 3 - Over she goes!


Step 4 - She's on her belly.

As all new mothers know babies aren't suppose to sleep on their stomach anymore...even though everybody who is an adult these days probably slept on their stomach because they thought it wasn't safe to put us down to sleep on our backs! Things change. Because babies are sleeping on their backs they aren't developing as quickly as we did when we were babies because they don't have as much time on their tummies practicing lifting their heads and bodies. So doctors tell us to give our babies supervised "Tummy Time." With Owen we always made sure he got tummy time each day. Things changed with Holly though. I think we have given her a total of 14 minutes tummy time since the day she was born. She hated it, and we hated hearing her cry...actually scream is a better word. Amazingly enough she learned how to hold her head up, push up on her arms and roll over with very little tummy time! Now she gives herself tummy time. I'm afraid that pretty soon she will be crawling all over the house...YIKES!

3 comments:

Ruth Thompson said...

Okay, I am so glad I read this. I have been giving Ruby SO little tummy time and today I said to myself, "This kid may never roll over because you haven't been on top of 'tummy time'. I am HAPPY that Holly is picking things up on her own. I am vowing to do more tummy time and also now....less worrying. :)

Amber Chappell said...

I never did much tummy time either. None of my kids liked it. And as far as I can tell they've all developed very normally. Except the twins were very slow to crawl and walk but eventually they figured it out. And maybe that was just because they were twins. I kinda wish they didn't walk now though. I'm having trouble keeping up!

Jocelyn said...

I have this great book {forgot the doc. name who wrote it} but I love it basically all these little things that people say you have to do aka tummy time, he kind of puts into perspective. like the fact that babies learning how to roll over, walk, talk is a natural process. that tummy time is nice, but not all babies need/ want it. and that it's truly not that necessary! I never have scheduled tummy time with Brock, and with him being in cast and his brace it was uncomfortable for him, and his growth and development hasn't been stunted at all!