Here we are in Utah! We've actually been here since Saturday. I was worried about taking Owen on the plane, because he seems to fear everything these days. But I really had no need to worry. He colored and looked out the window on our flight to Minnesota, and then he slept on the flight to Utah! All that worry for nothing. I have been taking some pictures, but I haven't got the chance to put them on a computer yet. So pictures will have to wait.
Yesterday morning I needed to go to Walmart to pick up a few things I needed. So I got the kids up bright and early (which isn't hard, they are still functioning on Eastern Standard Time) and I borrowed my youngest brother's car to go to Walmart. We went to Walmart, found everything we needed, and then headed out to the car.
When we go to the car, I took the keys out of my pocket and opened the trunk. I stuck all our stuff in there.
Then I used the keys to unlock the doors.
Then I put Owen in the car.
Then I went around to the other side of the car and put Holly in the car.
We were parked next to a shopping cart returner thingy majig...so I put the shopping cart away.
I went to get into the car...and I couldn't find the keys!
I looked in the backseat, they weren't there. I looked in the trunk, they weren't there. I got down on my hands and knees, they weren't on the ground anywhere that I could see. I look to make sure they didn't fall into my bra, they weren't there. I looked and looked for about 30 minutes, but I couldn't find the keys. Finally I loaded the kids back into the shopping cart and went into the store.
I tried to call by little brother Casey at home, because I had forgotten my cell phone and the only number I know by memory is the number I had growing up. Apparently Casey doesn't answer my parents phone though. Luckily they had a phone book in Walmart, so I looked up my brother Marc's phone number. He was able to give me my mom's number at work. I called her, and she called my dad at work to come and save us.
While I was waiting for my dad I continued to look for the keys. Meanwhile, Owen was sitting in the front seat of the car honking the horn ever 2 seconds, and the Walmart employee who pushes carts back into the store kept walking by looking at me suspiciously. There was one woman with two little kids who stopped to ask if I needed any help. I thanked her and told her what had happened. She wished me luck.
Finally my dad showed up with the extra keys. He got out of his car to give them to me, and I was telling him what had happened. Just then another woman with some little kids stopped and said, "Did you lose your keys?" I said yes, and she handed me the missing keys! She was parked 2 spots up from me, and she found them when she had gotten out of her car. I have no idea how the keys traveled 2 parking spaces away. And I could have sworn I looked over around there, but I guess not good enough. I was very happy to have the keys back though.
And the suspicious cart boy looked very happy to see me finally driving away.
4 comments:
Oh my! What a crazy thing to happen? How in the world did those keys get so far away from your car?! Sounds like you were having a, hopefully once in a lifetime, adventure in Utah. I hope you have more fun, but less stressful experiences for the rest of your trip. Take care. I'm happy that you get to spend time with your family.
Good boy Owen for flying like a pro! Sean was pretty good flying too, but not that great. Hopefully Owen will repeat his behavior on the way back too!
Hey Brianne, Don't you just love experiences like that. My battery died once in Memphis and the only person nice enough to help me didn't even speak English, but he got me on my way nonetheless!
Sorry we haven't made it over to see you yet. My kids are taking turns having a terrible stomach flu! Trust me you don't want this while on vacation!
You are a great storyteller. Hah! Even checked in your bra. hilarious. (though I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time). Hope the rest of your trip goes great!
I hate losing keys. It is such a royal pain in the rear.
Glad you found them though!
Hope your having a happy vacation!
Post a Comment