Thursday, September 3, 2009

Happy Birthday After All

It's been a week since I turned 30. I don't really feel any differently though. I do think my hair looks much nicer, but that's probably just because the heat and humidity finally died down...YAY! I know I said I wasn't going to write much about my birthday because I didn't expect anything exciting to happen. I was wrong though. My friends and family came through for me on my big turn of a decade birthday.

First up, I was sitting at my desk at work, just trying to blend into my cubicle like I usually do. All of the sudden a bunch of my coworkers are gathered around my desk with a cake (chocolate with a cream cheese frosting, so yummy), two balloons (my two kids appreciated those) a card and a gift certificate to Carabba's! There was also a ticket for the $325 Million Mega Millions Lottery...but I only had 1 number out of the 30 on the ticket. Oh well. It was great to be remembered by my friends at work!

Usually the bookclub I go to meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month. But it was moved to the 4th Thursday, my birthday, this month. I was debating whether to go or no, and I finally decided to go. I didn't want Scott to feel pressured to make me dinner, and I had read the book ("A Tree Grown in Brooklyn"...very good) so I decided to go. When I got home I noticed my sister-in-law's car in front of our house. I wondered what she was doing there at 9:30 at night. I went inside and she was sitting on the couch with the new laptop Scott got me for my birthday. I was pretty surprised, and shocked. I guess while I was out at bookclub Scott and his sister had gone and bought it for me, along with a wireless router. Then they came home, and with the help of Gary, our brother-in-law, they set the computer up and got it hooked up to the wireless router. I have been loving the wireless thing too. It's awesome to be able to curl up on the couch and play a game on facebook, or watch a tv show while I'm cleaning the kitchen. My kids can't get into much trouble anymore either because I am not in a corner of the house on the computer. I never knew I wanted a laptop, but I'm excited I have one now!

Friday night we planned to go out to dinner for my birthday...since we didn't go out Thursday night. I invited Scott's sister and her husband to go along. We decided on a place, and decided to meet each other there. When we got there...surprise! Two of my friends from work also came to celebrate. I guess they had tried to get more people to come, but it was short notice and everybody was busy Friday night. I was happy there wasn't too many people though, I really am not into being the center of attention. So we had a fun dinner with friends and family. I'm happy to say that my 30th birthday will be a memorable one! Who knew birthdays could be so fun when you get old?

3 comments:

Kim, Marci, and Family said...

Happy 30th! The 30's are great!! I don't think I could live without my laptop! Sitting at a desk just to check e-mails is just so lame now! Your husband did GOOD with that one!

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday.
-andrea

C Tam said...

I wish I was more on top of these birthday dates; I totally would have made you cupcakes with candles for our book club treat that night! I'm glad you decided to come.