I had today off work because Owen had a doctor's appointment to follow up on his kidney ultrasound from January. The appointment was at 9:15. I got the kids dressed and in the car by 8:25. The doctor's office is about 30 minutes away. I like to arrive places early. I put the key in the car, turned it, and nothing happened. Then I remember a few weeks ago when Scott had the same problem with his car when he was getting ready to go to work. Then I remembered last night when Scott noticed the light in my car was on. Then I remembered that Owen loves to play in the car, and while he is in the car he switches the light on and off. I think it's time for Owen to find a new hobby when he is playing outside!
I called the doctor and told them we wouldn't be there at 9:15. They said they could switch our appointment to 10:40. So I called Roadside Assistance to come and give my car a jump. The best they could do was to get somebody out 2 hours later! That wasn't going to work. Then I noticed my neighbor driving into his driveway in his big blue van. Our neighbors are Russian. They don't speak a lot of English. They seem nice enough though. So I ran over there and tried to tell him what I needed.
Me: "My car is dead, can you give it a jump?"
Neighbor: "You need car? Take my car! Go to work!"
Me: "No...I don't need your car, just a jump"
Neighbor: "Huh? Jump?"
Me: "Battery dead!"
Neighbor: "Oh"
Then he put his hands out and started shaking them like he was being electrocuted....YES! So he drove his big old van down our narrow drive-way, and thankfully he had jumper cables because ours are in Scott's car. He got my car going again! YAY!!!
Me: "Thank you SO MUCH! You saved the day!"
Neighbor: "I save you today, you save me another day."
Me: "Of course!!!" (Thinking: How the heck could I ever help him? I guess I'll find out some day.)
So I spoiled Owen's attempt at getting out of the doctor's appointment. Maybe I shouldn't have though. Our appointment was at 10:40. We didn't see the doctor until 11:25. It's not easy keeping a wild toddle entertained for that long. Then all the doctor said was that his kidneys were improving and she'll see us again in 2 years. WHAT! She couldn't have told us that over the phone? And I'm sure for the 3 minutes she saw us she will be milking our insurance company for about $150...and me for a $10 copay. You gotta love doctors!
1 comment:
aarghh,,,I have had that happen SO many times...darn kiddos :)
Next time call me :) I could be there very quickly...although I do not know if I could be as entertaining by imitating a battery for you. :)
Post a Comment