Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New Recipe - Black Bottom Cupcakes


OK, this isn't a new recipe to me. My parents have been making these for as long as I can remember. But I have been making a lot of them in the past few weeks, and people are always asking me for the recipe. So I figured I better post it on my blog, then I will always have quick access to it.

Owen and Holly's daycare had a fund raising event last Saturday. For part of the event they wanted us to donate baked goods for a bake sale. So I volunteered to make these cupcakes. I told a few people at work that I was going to be making the cupcakes, and they told me they would buy some if I brought them in to work. My coworkers go crazy over these things! So on July 1st, Scott's birthday, I made 144 cupcakes. I brought 100 in to work to sell, and the rest went to Scott's work for his birthday (his coworkers are always begging him to get me to make some for them too). The 100 cupcakes I brought into work were all sold for 75 cents each...so I made $75 for the fundraiser, before it even began. Not bad!

I didn't make as many cupcakes for the actual bake-sale, just about 36. They went pretty quick, and people were asking for the recipe....they were willing to pay for it! So I gave the daycare director the recipe and she is going to sell the recipe for $1.00. So here is the recipe...be careful if you take them somewhere though, people will be asking you to make them all the time!


Black Bottom Cupcakes

Preheat Oven to 350. Line 18 muffin tins with paper cups, or lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Cream Cheese Mixture:
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup chocolate chips

Beat the cream cheese, egg & sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the chocolate chips and set aside

Chocolate Cake Mixture:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center and add the water, oil vinegar and vanilla. Stir together until well blended.

Fill muffin tins 1/3 full with the chocolate batter and top with a dollop of cream cheese mixture.

Bake for 25-30 minutes

4 comments:

♥Tami said...

Sound interesting! I will have to try these! Love a new recipe!

Amber Chappell said...

I guess I probably owe you a dollar now since I just printed out the recipe. It sounds really good. Any dessert with cream cheese is bound to be good. I tried those peanut butter bars when my family came to visit. They were a real hit. My brother even told me they were better than the ones his wife makes. Yeah!

akbmc1950 said...

Thank you Pam Kimball wherever you are

Joe Tenney said...

Hey, I remember these cupcakes. I also remember your foreign exchange student, Tad, making them in a cute apron. Didn't you make him sleep in a very pink room too?:)