Every 6 months Owen's day care provides us with a progress report. Mainly it's just a list of milestones that children are suppose to go through and they check yes if they have reached them, or no if they have not. Then at the end the teacher writes up a little note to tell how he is doing in her own words.
6 months ago Owen's progress report came back, and it was a bit shocking to me. The teacher had checked no for almost all of his verbal milestones, even though he was talking up a storm to us at home. I mentioned it to them and they said he hardly ever spoke at school. Now that I think back to that time I realize it was right after Holly was born. He was going through some major changes at home, so that was probably the problem. Today we received his new progress report and he is doing much better. He is definitely getting more use to all the changes that happened at home.
I have to give his progress report back tomorrow, but I just wanted to write down what his teacher said so that I can look back at it someday. So here goes:
For his 12/15/08 Progress Report:
"Socially Owen plays by himself and will interact with another child if they initiate the activity. During circle time Owen will join in when we sing songs with hand plays. Owen likes to sing the Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. He also enjoys the book Rolie Polie Olie. He participates in the story activities with all the other children. Owen is not very verbal when he is at school. He will keep his two fingers in his mouth while doing most activities and will not communicate. We will work with Owen on developing his verbal skills. Owen is a pleasure to have in our class."
I wonder if they ever write that somebodies child is not a pleasure to have in their class? I don't think so.
For his 5/15/09 Progress Report:
"Owen is opening up more at school. He continues to enjoy circle time and has more of an interest in class activities. He is starting to talk more to his friends and teachers. Owen enjoys basketball and playing outside on the ride on toys. Owen has been showing more smiles and laughing with his friends. Owen is now using full sentences when he is telling his friends to stop doing something or to be quiet. (hehe...my son is bossy...GREAT!) He is my little quiet time sidekick. This month we are really going to focus on shapes, colors and number recognition. Owen is able to recognize all his colors, most of his numbers, and we are working on his shapes. We have a jumping number Bingo game that he enjoys. Next we will use shapes. Owen seems eager to learn and master these tasks. It's a pleasure to have Owen in my class."
No comments:
Post a Comment