Happy Thanksgiving everybody! I hope you all had a relaxing holiday, we certainly did. For the first time we had Thanksgiving with just our little family. Nobody came over, and we didn't have to go anywhere. I loved it. I could get use to this small celebration. I didn't have to worry about being somewhere on time, and I didn't have to worry about the house being clean and dinner being on the table at a certain time. I just did things at my own speed, and I think we all really enjoyed the day.I did most of the cooking, actually, I did all of the cooking. I didn't mind, but Holly wasn't too happy about not being cuddled by me all day. So I put her in her booster seat at the table so she could watch me. That kept her content.
Before we could start eating though she fell asleep. So I snapped a quick picture and laid her down for her nap. You can see the steam from something I was cooking in the picture! So...what did we have?
I made homemade cranberry sauce! I've never done that before. It was pretty darn simple, and yummy though. You can find the recipe HERE
I've been seeing a recipe for Candied Coconut Sweet Potatoes everywhere lately, so I decided to try it out. They were pretty good, but I think I prefer sweet potatoes all by themselves. The topping on this was to die for though! You can find one of the many recipes for this HERE
I made homemade rolls for the first time. They turned out OK, but they were a bit heavy. The recipe called for 8-9 cups of flour, I put in about 7 1/2 cups, and they were still heavy. I guess I'll have to play with this one a bit more. But hey, no company, so I wasn't too worried if they were great or not. You can find that recipe HERE
I cheated on the Stuffing. I went with the Stove Top box! But it's good stuffing, and easy to make.
Scott wanted Butternut Squash. So I made a little for him. I have no idea how to cook it though. I just boiled it, mashed it, and put a little butter in it. I didn't taste it though, so I have no idea how it tasted. Scott ate it though, so it must not have been too bad.
Mashed Potatoes...lots of sour cream and butter. YUM! I also made turkey gravy from our drippings, but no picture.
And of course Mr. Gobble Gobble. We will be feasting on him for many days to come!
So Owen was at the table long enough for me to snap this picture. (I wonder how long he will make the silly face for when we tell him to smile?) He then wanted to go get a spoon for Holly when I said she needed one. He got upset when I didn't get the right kind of spoon for her...
...he laid down on the floor and went to sleep. I think it was nap time anyway. He never eats much of anything though.
I made homemade cranberry sauce! I've never done that before. It was pretty darn simple, and yummy though. You can find the recipe HERE
I've been seeing a recipe for Candied Coconut Sweet Potatoes everywhere lately, so I decided to try it out. They were pretty good, but I think I prefer sweet potatoes all by themselves. The topping on this was to die for though! You can find one of the many recipes for this HERE
I made homemade rolls for the first time. They turned out OK, but they were a bit heavy. The recipe called for 8-9 cups of flour, I put in about 7 1/2 cups, and they were still heavy. I guess I'll have to play with this one a bit more. But hey, no company, so I wasn't too worried if they were great or not. You can find that recipe HERE
I cheated on the Stuffing. I went with the Stove Top box! But it's good stuffing, and easy to make.
Scott wanted Butternut Squash. So I made a little for him. I have no idea how to cook it though. I just boiled it, mashed it, and put a little butter in it. I didn't taste it though, so I have no idea how it tasted. Scott ate it though, so it must not have been too bad.
Mashed Potatoes...lots of sour cream and butter. YUM! I also made turkey gravy from our drippings, but no picture.
And of course Mr. Gobble Gobble. We will be feasting on him for many days to come!
So Owen was at the table long enough for me to snap this picture. (I wonder how long he will make the silly face for when we tell him to smile?) He then wanted to go get a spoon for Holly when I said she needed one. He got upset when I didn't get the right kind of spoon for her...
...he laid down on the floor and went to sleep. I think it was nap time anyway. He never eats much of anything though.


3 comments:
Hey I know an awesome way to cook Butternut squash. You buy the Roasted Pototo seasoning packet (it's somewhere near the potatoes in just about every grocery store) and you have potato wedges and Butternut squash cubes coated with the seasoning (mixed with oil according to directions on the back) and bake it for like 40 minutes. Really tasty!
We stayed home with just our little family too and loved it for many of the same reasons you listed! Holly looks so dang cute asleep at the table. Your food looks great. Thanks for including the recipes!
I am totally impressed! You are one amazing chef. SO glad that you had a peaceful and fun day!!
Post a Comment